Gov. Sean Parnell’s re-election campaign confirmed that he will be participating in at least eight debates leading up to the general election in November, three of which will be before the primary election. So far, Parnell doesn’t have a Republican primary challenger. In the general he’ll be running against Democrat Byron Mallott and Independent Bill Walker.
“Our debate schedule, along with this early announcement, will ensure all Alaskans have an opportunity to learn about our goals for the next four years,” Parnell said in a release.
Indeed, it’s so early that it’s likely that many media outfits haven’t yet scheduled debates. So far, only two of the eight are debates hosted by media. Five of them are hosted by Chambers of Commerce across the state. Jerry Gallagher, Parnell’s campaign manager, said that Parnell is open to adding debates and that Gallagher is working with KTUU Channel 2 and Alaska Public Media to schedule them.
Primary Election Debates
- April 28 – Anchorage, hosted by the Anchorage Chamber of Commerce.
- April 30 – Anchorage, hosted by AARP in partnership with the Anchorage School District and the Alaska Retired Educators Association.
- August 12 – Fairbanks, hosted by the Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce.
General Election Debates
- August 28 – Kodiak, hosted by the Kodiak Chamber of Commerce.
- October 1 – Ketchikan, hosted by the Ketchikan Daily News.
- October 8 – Soldotna, hosted by the Kenai and Soldotna Chambers of Commerce.
- October 21 – Fairbanks, hosted by the Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce.
- October 28 – Anchorage, hosted by KTVA Channel 11 and the Anchorage Daily News.
Contact Amanda Coyne at email@example.com